UK Champions (2006 - present)

danisthirty
Answers: 0

Roles

UK Champions (2006 - present)

Post by danisthirty »

I'm not sure how many people on the list below are still playing Carcassonne, but I wanted to ensure that we kept a record of previous UK/ GBR (apparently these have been used seemingly interchangeably over the years) Carcassonne champions and to compare their individual performances at the world championships:

Although No. of Games Won is a reasonable indicator, I've calculated "%age of Players Beaten" based on Position and No. of Participants, as Jack's 26th is more impressive than Peter Boswell's 23rd when you consider that there were 34 participants in 2018 whereas there were only 24 in 2011. Based on this, our best result was Ven Gee's 5th place in 2017 when he finished ahead of 86% of the competition! Then it's tied between Richard's 2013 performance and Michal Frys' 2008 performance where both beat 75% of their rivals.

Since the 2020 championships were held as an online BGA tournament that was won by someone from Portugal, I haven't included them here, and don't intend to. With the 2021 tournament just four weeks away though, I know that Jack Fowler for one will be hoping to win the title again even though this will mean competing against fellow team-mates Rich Golds, Chris Wallace, Matt Tucker and myself who will all be just as keen to take the trophy home with us. And while I don't know if Ven Gee or Richard Gough will be looking for an unprecedented third win this year there are plenty of other players to look out for too. One such player is Aleksejs Pegusevs who has represented Latvia at the world championships on many occasions and finished third in 2013. He took part in the 2019 UK championship and got as far as the semi-final where he was beaten by Ven Gee. More recently he has taken BGA by storm as the dangerous Alexey_LV, helping the Lithuania & Latvia team to 6th place in the 2021 World Teams Carcassonne Online Championships.

Uhome

Re: UK Champions (2006 - present)

Post by Uhome »

danisthirty wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:03 pm I'm not sure how many people on the list below are still playing Carcassonne, but I wanted to ensure that we kept a record of previous UK/ GBR (apparently these have been used seemingly interchangeably over the years) Carcassonne champions and to compare their individual performances at the world championships:

Although No. of Games Won is a reasonable indicator, I've calculated "%age of Players Beaten" based on Position and No. of Participants, as Jack's 26th is more impressive than Peter Boswell's 23rd when you consider that there were 34 participants in 2018 whereas there were only 24 in 2011. Based on this, our best result was Ven Gee's 5th place in 2017 when he finished ahead of 86% of the competition! Then it's tied between Richard's 2013 performance and Michal Frys' 2008 performance where both beat 75% of their rivals.

Since the 2020 championships were held as an online BGA tournament that was won by someone from Portugal, I haven't included them here, and don't intend to. With the 2021 tournament just four weeks away though, I know that Jack Fowler for one will be hoping to win the title again even though this will mean competing against fellow team-mates Rich Golds, Chris Wallace, Matt Tucker and myself who will all be just as keen to take the trophy home with us. And while I don't know if Ven Gee or Richard Gough will be looking for an unprecedented third win this year there are plenty of other players to look out for too. One such player is Aleksejs Pegusevs who has represented Latvia at the world championships on many occasions and finished third in 2013. He took part in the 2019 UK championship and got as far as the semi-final where he was beaten by Ven Gee. More recently he has taken BGA by storm as the dangerous Alexey_LV, helping the Lithuania & Latvia team to 6th place in the 2021 World Teams Carcassonne Online Championships.
Hi danisthirty,

You have information on the 2021 tournament? When and where will it be held?
It is surprising to know that Aleksejs Pegusevs (Alexey_LV) took part in the 2019 UK championship! Look out for him definitely, he will be a dangerous player for sure ;)
danisthirty

Roles

Post by danisthirty »

Hi Uhome, and welcome to the forums! :D

I believe Alexey is currently studying in the UK, but the UKGE has never been specific about the nationality of players who take part in any of their tournaments so I think he's just as entitled as anyone else to represent us if he wins the tournament.
Uhome

Post by Uhome »

danisthirty wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:14 am Hi Uhome, and welcome to the forums! :D

I believe Alexey is currently studying in the UK, but the UKGE has never been specific about the nationality of players who take part in any of their tournaments so I think he's just as entitled as anyone else to represent us if he wins the tournament.
This might be true before, but the World championship updated the Tournament rules in Oct 2020. https://carcassonne-meisterschaft.de/en ... trules.htm

So while UKGE has never been specific about the nationality of players who take part in any of their tournaments, he may not as entitled as anyone else to represent us if he wins the tournament in the future.